Protection from negative energies and people
I wanted to write a blog on this as I have been telling many of my clients recently that they need to learn how to protect themselves.
This is around protecting your own energy field and making sure you are not giving your energy away and leaving yourself drained in the process.
How many times have you come away from spending time with someone and you feel completely drained and worn out?
Have you ever done a treatment like Reiki or massage and afterwards felt tired and drained?
Are you someone who spends a lot of time helping others before helping yourself?
If you have answered YES to any of the above then you could be heading for burn out if you don’t learn to protect yourself properly.
Often when people read about protection they are thinking this means from ghosts or spirits when actually it is the living we need to be careful of.
When I teach Reiki we spend quite a lot of time around the subject of protection of you and of your work space and home environment.
When we spend time with people and in places we are picking up on a person’s energy field, so if the person is a fairly negative person then that is the energy that we are picking up from them. The energy then stays with us in our auric field, this is called residual energy.
Have you heard the saying “you could cut the atmosphere with a knife”? This is very true, if there has been an argument or bad feeling in a place then the energy is left there ready for us to pick up into our aura.
The other thing that we unconsciously do is give away our own energy; this again can lead to a feeling of being drained.
A couple of years ago I was attending a weekend workshop with around 14 or 15 other people. On one of the breaks I was talking to one of the attendees and she asked me if I was a healer. I said yes I am I am a Reiki Master, she said she could tell because I had been sending energy all the way to the other side of the room and she was picking up on it. Prime example of me giving away my own energy. I must have been doing this unconsciously as I didn’t even realise that I was doing it. It made me stop and think about how many other times I had been giving away my energy without me realising it.
It is very important to protect yourself from negative energies and people while you are doing any kind of treatment, be it massage, reiki, hypnotherapy etc.
In fact it is good practice to protect yourself everyday whether you are doing treatments or not. There are various different methods to use and I would suggest that you find one that works for you. This isn’t a one size fits all kind of method, different things work for different people.
Here are some examples of what you can use:
- The one I use and I do this every morning in the shower is to ask Archangel Michael to surround me with his blue cloak and protect me with his sword. I ask to be filled with positivity and for anything negative to be bounced back with love and light.
- When I am doing Reiki I always imagine a purple cloak surrounding me from head to foot and say in my head “I am wearing my purple cloak for protection”. The cloak can be any colour; it is the intention that matters.
- You can imagine that you are wearing a suit of Armour.
- When you step out of the house first thing in the morning imagine that you are stepping into a big protective bubble of light that will be with you all day protecting you from any negative energy.
- You could visualise a shield of white light that you use to bounce back anything negative with love and light
- Smudge yourself and your auric field with white sage to cleanse anything negative, you can also do this with incense too but I prefer white sage.
- Set the intention “I will not give away my energy today, my energy is for me”
- Take regular Himalayan salt baths as these help to cleanse the body of any negativity and bring us back into balance
If you have trouble visualising don’t worry for it is the intention that we set that is of most importance.
Remember that when we are channelling Reiki that is exactly what we are doing, so we are not using our own energy during the healing session. We are using the Reiki energy that is channelled through us and then onto the client.
It is also important to cleanse our workspace and home; you can read more about this here.
Also remember that “Like Attracts Like” so if you are giving out negative energy or you are having lots of negative thoughts then this, by Law of Attraction will bring about more things and situations to feel negative about.
So be careful to check in on a regular basis about how you are feeling and what is going on with you and your thoughts. After all our thoughts are energy too.
Please make sure that you are kind to yourself, so often we beat ourselves up for things that we haven’t done or things we have done that we think we shouldn’t have.
“I shouldn’t have eaten that chocolate bar”
“Why I am so fat?”
“Why do bad things always happen to me?”
“I am such an idiot”
“If only I hadn’t have done that….”
“Why did xyz sat that about me?”
“I know he/she doesn’t like me”
“Was it something I said or did that has made them be like that with me?”
The list goes on and on and is probably repeating over and over in your mind. So STOP with it now and start to focus on the good things you have done. Accept yourself for who you are warts an all. Time to let go of the victim mentality and start to take responsibility for your own self awareness and actions. Say nice things to yourself and see what a difference it can make.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments and also what methods you use to protect yourself from negativity
Love & Light